UNH Alumni Photography Exhibition


       This photograph taken by Harry Lichtman immediately captured my attention. It was different than many of the surrounding photographs in the exhibit. The more I looked at this photograph, the more things I discovered. The colors, textures, and shapes created here really held my attention.
       The first thing that I noticed was the large rock center-left. The manner in which the light hit the rock caught my eye. I then began to look at the area surrounding the center of the rock and noticed the cracks in the ice that surround it like a starburst. The details of these cracks were intriguing and led my eye to the glassy ice above the rock. From there, I was led to discover a new section of the photograph. Every time I reached a new focal point, I saw new details. No two spots were the same. There was always a new angle, new shape, or a new texture.
       In terms of composition, the strong presence of line makes this photograph stands out. I find it very interesting that some lines are sharp and jagged while others are smooth and flow like water. They intersect to create a variety of shapes and textures. The triangles and rectangles contrast against the round curvature of the rocks. This creates interest and adds a prismatic element to the photograph. I loved the way the lines in the ice would lead me from place to place. My eye would move from one rock, then along the ice, then to a burst of cracks, then back out and to another rock, etc... There were seemingly endless details in this photograph to explore.
       The color in this photograph is also surprising. The bright whites, blues, and greys of the rocks and lines in the ice differ greatly from the dark blues and blacks of the underlying surface. The stark contrast of colors gave the scene a cold, dramatic tone. I tend to like photographs with great detail and contrasting colors, so it is not surprising that I immediately went to this. I would love to see more of Lichtman's photographs.

Comments

Popular Posts